Bertrand Russell and Eddington Towers are 16-storey student accommodation blocks located on the University of Essex Colchester Campus. Tendered separately over 2 years, United Living undertook complete refurbishment of the buildings, with Bertrand Russell completed in late 2019 and Eddington Tower due for completion in November 2020.
- Construction of new entrance & external canopy
- Remodelling of ground floor
- Removal of complete services throughout tower
- New communal kitchens, 15nr.
- Refurbishment of student bedrooms, 237nr.
- Refurbishment communal WC and shower units, generally 4 × WCs, and 2 × showers per floor
- New hot/cold water; heating systems & electric services including ventilation and sprinkler/misting system
- Full access scaffold and passenger/goods hoist
- Replacement Aluminium Windows, including curtain walling to front elevation
- New insulated roofing system
- Construction of new plant room for Bertrand Russell & adjacent Eddington Tower
- Replacement lifts (2no)
- Installation of bedroom furniture
- Minor Structural repairs
- Fire safety work inc. doors, alarms, fire stopping, AOVs
- Decorations & flooring throughout
- Associated external works & drainage
Although the blocks are vacant for the duration, the works were undertaken within the live university campus with adjacent paths, access road, student accommodation and lecture theatres remaining in use. Detailed traffic management & logistics plans and working methodologies were developed in agreement with the University’s Estate Management Services (EMS).
Due to the live campus environment, our construction programme took on board key dates in the UoE calendar for exams, open days, start/end of term etc. Our site team held regular meetings/daily communication with the University EMS for the contract duration.
Bertrand Russell and Eddington Tower are the first two blocks of six iconic towers on the campus to be refurbished over coming years.